Hey, Dork in the Kitchen, Please Put the Camera Down

27 Jan

Back when I worked a “real job” and was real miserable, on most days I took with me two peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. During this period my “eat whatever” head was planted firmly up my ass. Today, if anything, I’m better nourished. Seriously, it’s true: you are what you eat.

So here’s what I ate for lunch yesterday.

Group A (kale, broccoli, cauliflower, coconut oil, garlic, onion)

Group B (soy beans, azuki beans, lentils, brown rice, NYF , Bragg Liquid Aminos)

Without measuring anything, I threw Group A into a big skillet and put it on high heat. Then I tossed Group B into a separate bowl.

Group B

When Group A was cooked down a bit, and maybe a little browned, I added Group B (the beans and rice were pre-cooked, obviously). I mixed it all together and let it sit for a minute until Group B was warm. It turned out to be a massive amount of food, but I ate every last little piece of rice. Then for three minutes I scraped at the sides of the empty glass bowl with my fork. Yeah, excessive.

Group A + Group B = ?, Group C maybe?

Me, pointing at my lunch with a dumb look on my face

In case you’re wondering, I’m wearing my warm hat and hoodie because I generally keep the heat off from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. You know, I’m “saving” the earth. Also (again, in case you’re wondering), I’m pointing at my lunch with that dumb look because I’m a huge dork.

7 Responses to “Hey, Dork in the Kitchen, Please Put the Camera Down”

1. mom January 27, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

The concoction looks yummy, I’d eat it….

• fightn4it January 27, 2011 at 2:50 pm #

That’s what I have every day, buy always different. Definitely a concoction.

2. Patience aka Nurse Wrachette January 27, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

Your not a dork really. And the heat off thing? Heck I was doing that when I was in diapers. We lived in So. Cal so heat wasnt the issue, but when its 119 outside and 15 minutes of my albino white skin would look like a charbroiled steak I would turn on the A/C only to be followed by Mom or my sister and they would shut it off. Whats wrong with these people?? But I can totaly handle the cold, and keeps my bill down too;)

• fightn4it February 1, 2011 at 9:47 am #

I’m freezing right now, but I’m in the unheated basement. Our goal is to get the heat bill back under $300.

3. Monica January 28, 2011 at 10:39 am #

So funny. I just wrote about doing this – preparing all these yummy healthy foods to make a concoction (mine was more about saving time cooking, but same diff). Your concoction looks great! How much coconut oil do you use?

Really like the blog. You’ve got a new subscriber!

• fightn4it February 1, 2011 at 9:52 am #

Thanks, I’m so glad you subscribed. I use one tablespoon of coconut oil. Do you use it? It’s a pain in the winter because (in our house) it’s solid (I have to scrape it from this huge tub (economy size!) and in the summer it’s liquid and much easier to use. 75 degrees = solid, 76 = liquid. weird.

• Monica February 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm #

I do use it. It’s a great healthy fat! I have to scrape in the winter too… storing any fat in a dark (= cool usually) cabinet is best, so I rarely get to just pour it out. But it’s so good, and completely worth it!